American Sail Training Association describes an experience aboard Tall Ships:
Aboard a sailing vessel, as in life, our small piece is a critical part of the whole. The quality of work, and the spirit in which we do it, has a profound effect on the well-being of everyone else aboard. Leadership paradoxically will be attained by learning to take direction. Becoming a team player, pulling your share of the load with being absolutely responsible, dependable and learning to depend on the responsibility of others. For no matter what the particular mission of a ship might be, it is essential that she be safely navigated and handsomely attended.
Kitsap Maritime operations will include:
- Taking sailors of any age on an experience of a lifetime as well as charters and Tall Ships events.
- Offering free public sails from the Port of Brownsville Marina and other Ports in Kitsap County.
- Providing dockside Education, the curriculum employs 3 learning stations:
- Raising the Sails, the students will learn teamwork and experience the setting of the sails that harness the wind to drive the Schooner through the water.
- Charting and geography and a Day in the Life, by using a nautical chart, the Students will learn local geography and determine a group of courses that is needed to steer the schooner to circumnavigate Bainbridge Island, along with the trials and tribulations of the life of a sailor.
- The students will enjoy the sea life below the waters surface with the use of a Submersible Camera to view sea life in local waters. The video signal from the submersible is recordable to VHS tape so the students can take the visual display back to the classroom and identify the sea life with the use of classroom textbooks. This program is offered at no cost to the local schools, whether private or public.